So Much For Peace

3:15 AM Unknown 0 Comments

Last Friday i went to the Buddhism class in my collage.

The professor was talking about kinds of job that we should and shouldn't choose. After he explained, i raised my hand.



Y:  Sir, do you know about the Somalian pirates?
P:  Yeah, what about it?
Y:  As we all know, the Somalian Pirates are viewed by the world as a bad figure, villains, the “bad guy”. But I watched a documentary about it once. The Somalian pirates do their job because they are left with no options, they live in desperate place of hunger, where no crops would grow, they have family to feed, and their only gold lies in the sea, and fishing would not suffice. And when they went home after the piracy, they are welcomed not as criminals, but as heroes. They give their treasure not only to their family, but to their hungry neighbors too.  The interviewer said ‘the world see you as criminal’ , the pirate replied ‘I don’t care what the world see, I just want my family to be happy, and not hungry’. What’s your view as a Buddish on this matter?
P: It is still wrong to steal, moreover to hurt other.
Y: Even though it is done in a desperate condition, for good of the people they love?
P: It is still bad. One always have option not to hurt others.
Y: Then let us switch the subject to Robin Hood, or as in local folk, Si Pitung. A Similar case.
P: Yeah! It is still bad. Robin Hood is a bad person. He hurt and steal to prosper his own people! It is a wrong thing to do. I can see from your face that you’re not happy with my answer. I respected that you stand with your opinion, but if it comes to writing test, I wish that you don’t write your beliefs on the paper cause you would have a bad grade.



Atheist as i am, the only reason I took a religion class is that my collage demands every student to take one. And the reason i chose Buddhism is that I think it is one religion that is based on peace, and disattachment to the world.

But it seems that my heart is not ready for peace. :)

0 comments: